You can make your slow AVG version 8 work faster by switching off its LinkScanner (also called Search-Shield).
- Right click on Windows’ tooltray’s AVG8 icon.
- Choose “Open AVG User Interface”
- Go to “Tools” on AVG8’s menu bar
- Choose “Advanced Settings” on pull-down menu
- Click “LinkScanner” in left panel
- Delete the check-mark from the box next to “Enable AVG Search-Shield”
- Restart computer
The idea here is that AVG’s LinkScanner, while a good idea in theory, is not especially effective, so why allow it to slow down your PC?